Living Green Events for March
$$$ March $ustainability $avings Tip $$$
GREENER CHOICES REDUCE HAZARDS IN THE HOUSEHOLD – Everyday products may invite harmful chemicals into your home or garden.
Read our March Sustainability Savings Tip to learn about safe alternatives, the SAFER CHOICE label, and our NEW Household Hazardous Materials facility.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Every Saturday: Mesa Farmers Market and Flea Currently open 8 a.m to 1 p.m. at Pioneer Park.
Feb. 8 to May 26: Junkyard Jungle Escape into your imagination in Junkyard Jungle, where trash becomes treasured artworks that take you on a journey into Earth’s lush rainforests and other wild destinations. The exhibition features art and hands-on activities that teach about the environment around us, the importance of green living for future generations, best practices in recycling and conservation of natural resources.
Throughout March: Mesa Prototyping Project Join us for artmaking workshops that invite the community to dream and design solutions to make our neighborhoods more vibrant and exciting! Workshop events will take place at Mesa Artspace and Mesa Urban Garden.
March 18-24 Fix a Leak Week takes place and EPA will help you detect and chase down leaks! Email us with your mailing address if you’d like to get our toilet leak detection kit, and here’s our online booklet on how to find and fix leaks.
March 30, 8:30-9:30 p.m.: Earth Hour. This worldwide event celebrates your commitment to the planet with your friends, family, community or at work - in your own way. A simple action can be just turning off all non-essential lights from 8.30 to 9:30 p.m.
March 27 Community Commercial Kitchen Tour at El Rancho del Sol, operated by Local First Arizona's business accelerator Fuerza Local. Have you ever dreamed of operating your own catering company, cookie or cake shops? RAIL Mesa is hosting this event.
April 6: Cyclomesa – This amazing Bicycle Festival in downtown Mesa is a fun-filled day of all things bicycle including El Tour de Mesa, BMX Freestyle Show and so much more. It's FREE! BRING YOUR BIKE!
April 13, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Mark your calendar for Celebrate Mesa taking place at Pioneer Park, 526 E. Main Street. Stop by our 'Living Green Village' as we celebrate Earth Day. If you'd like to showcase your green or sustainable programs, contact us.
April 20, 7:30 p.m.: Ride-in-Movies at the Park. Ride your bicycles or walk and join us for FREE movies in the park every month through May. Don’t miss Peter Rabbit at Whitman Park, 1700 N. Grand.
Arizona SciTech Festival for hundreds of free events happening across the Valley, it’s Arizona’s BIGGEST celebration of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Over 800 organizations have partnered to showcase the science all around us.
+ + MESA URBAN GARDEN (MUG) NEWS! + +
(Located at 212 E. 1st Ave.)
Bed rentals are available! Contact Laurie.
~ SUSTAINABILITY NEWS ~
Mesa Public Library offering free gardening classes. The Library is partnering with Kaylee Colter, a native Arizonan and registered landscape architect with a Master of Science degree in Sustainable Horticulture, to offer a Garden Like a Pro classes at the Main Library, 64 E. First St.
Arbor Day Poster Contest: The theme is “Trees are Superheroes” – for Arizona youth from grades K-12. This year’s contest is intended to highlight the heroic role that trees and urban forests play in our communities. Entry deadline is March 29. Go to the link for the contest rules and to see the cool 2018 winning art.
What impact does precipitation have on our drought and water supplies? When you live in a place where drought spans multiple decades, every bit of precipitation receives an enthusiastic welcome, but what does that really mean…
How are Arizona cities promoting water conservation? Arizona is expected to grow by another 5 million people by 2050, and as the population grows and drought and climate change reduce water supplies, new approaches must be taken to ensure communities, wildlife…
Celebrate AZ Water: Tempe Town Lake – making waves in the desert. This Water – Use It Wisely blog provides town lake history, the lakes hydrology, and boating and fishing information.
SC Johnson to launch bottles made entirely from recycled ocean plastics. SC Johnson has unveiled plans to start producing one of its top home cleaning products in bottles made entirely from recycled plastics collected from the world's oceans.
++ BONUS TIPS ++
March Watering Reminder: It rained, it got warm, plants are coming out of dormancy… how do you water? We have the answers.
- Yard waste: Although you cannot place green yard waste in the blue barrel, it does not have to go into the landfill. The City of Mesa does offer a Green Barrel Program for this material.
- Paper towels/napkins: You cannot put paper towels, napkins, tissues or greasy paper plates into the blue barrel. You should, however, always look for products that are made of recycled materials. This creates a market for the recycled materials and turns them into a useful product again.
- Get a composter for $5 and you can turn a lot of the material mentioned above into compost!
OTHER LOCAL EVENTS!
- March 9: 8th Annual Run for World Water – help Water for People reduce water poverty in developing countries at the 5K run, 1K walk or Kid’s Lollipop Run (50 yard dash).
- March 23: Sustainable Landscapes Expo, (Tucson) this free, family-friendly event will include over 30 exhibits to increase your knowledge on efficient water usage and sustainable landscaping in the Southern Arizona desert.
- March 21: Birds n’ Beer at Audubon Arizona, this month’s topic, Protecting Arizona’s Water for Birds – and Beer! 3131 S. Central Ave features lively, entertaining presentations about birds, wildlife and conservation in a happy hour style environment. Craft Beer, wine and snacks available.
- Plant Sales!
- April 4: Green Building Lecture Series by City of Scottsdale: 7– 8:30 p.m. Beating the Summer Heat: Radiant Cooling and Alternatives to Air Conditioning. Get the details and see the spring program schedule.
- Follow me on Twitter, https://twitter.com/LivingGreenMesa
- Learn more about our sustainability programs!
- Learn more about our water conservation and recycling programs
- Sign up for this newsletter (and our watering reminder) at our eNotifications page